Hellenic Pasteur Institute (HPI) organizes each year a series of invited lectures given by distinguished visiting scientists from other International Academic and Research Institutes. These seminars cover issues relating to Infectious Diseases, Cancer, Neurobiology, Immunology and Public Health.
They are targeted primarily towards the postgraduate specialist in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, but also towards the graduate students in Biology, Chemistry, Pharmaceutical and Medical Sciences, as well as the “fighting clinician”.
They aim to provide up-to-date information to the specialist and also encourage the development of collaborative efforts between HPI laboratories and those of the invited speakers.
HPI Organising committee
– Dr. Dionyssios Sgouras
– Dr. Urania Georgopoulou
– Mrs. Christina Driva
Workshops in Research and Technology
The Hellenic Pasteur Institute has successfully organized (2004 & 2005) a series of workshops on Light Microscopy and coordinated the activities of the “greek Light Microscopy network” formed by scientists from HPI, the University of Ioannina, the Institute of Biomedical Research at Ioannina, and the University of Crete. The workshops were sponsored by the Greek Secretariat of Research and Technology in the context of the Operational program “COMPETITIVENESS” (http://www.antagonistikotita.gr/) action 8.3.6- Creation of communication channels for academics, research/technology entities and enterprises with common scientific interests- “HUMAN NETWORKS”. Cosponsors were the Diagnostic & Therapeutic Centre-YGEIA and the private enterprises “Analytical Instruments (greek representative of Leica) and “Galanis-Lab Supplies”. The enterprises “Scientific Apparatuses and Instruments gmbh (greek representative of Zeiss)” and “LaborScience Α.Ε.” offered equipment and personnel for needs of the practical training of the participants.
Dr H. Boleti, Light Microscopy unit & Dep. of Microbiology, Hellenic Pasteur Institute
Academic Members of the Greek Light Microscopy Network:
• Haralabia BOLETI – Light Microscopy unit & Dep. of Microbiology, Hellenic Pasteur Institute
• Dimitra THOMAIDOU – Light Microscopy unit & Dep. of Biochemistry, Hellenic Pasteur Institute
• Christos DELIDAKIS – Dep. Of Biology – Univ. of Crete
• Domna KARAGOGEOS – Medical School – Univ. of Crete
• Theodoros FOTSIS – Biomedical Research Institute – ΙΤΕ / Ioannina
• Carol MURPHY – Biomedical Research Institute – ΙΤΕ / Ioannina
• Spyros GEORGATOS – Medical School – Univ.of Ioannina
• Savvas CHRISTOFORIDIS – Medical School & Biomedical Research Institute-ΙΤΕ, Univ. of Ioannina
• Georgios NASIOULAS – Diagnostic & Therapeutic Centre-YGEIA, Athens
International academic collaborators:
• Spencer SHORTE – Head of the “Platform of dynamic Imaging” – Institut Pasteur, France
The HPI Workshops on Light Microscopy
Organization: Dr Haralabia BOLETI – Dr Dimitra THOMAIDOU
The Workshops took place on May 17-24, 2004.
«Applications of Light Microscopy techniques in Biomedical Research and Diagnosis»
- Were geared to graduate students or research / clinical workers in the broader realm of biology and medicine and medics.
- Consisted of a theoretical part and hands on practical exercises.
- Were taught in the English language by both, greek and invited international scientists, experts in their fields.
In the theoretical part, lectures focussed on the basic principles of Light Microscopy (wide field & confocal) as well as on cutting-edge tehnologies in the field (i.e two photon confocal microscopy, the GFP technology, FRET, FRAP, FCS). Applications in research focussed mostly in the areas of infectious diseases, cell biology and neurobiology.
The practical exercises aimed to train the participants in:
• sample preparation for analysis by fluorescence microscopy (wide field and confocal)
• the use of conventional or confocal microscopes
• digital image aquisition and image analysis
Extensive prior experience with microscopy was not required. Lectures were presented by international and greek scientists in English.
Sponsors: Greek General Secretariat of Research and Technology in the context of the Operational program “COMPETITIVENESS” action 8.3.6 – “Creation of communication chanels for academics, research/technology entities and enterprises with common scientific interests-“HUMAN NETWORKS – European Social Funds 75%, National and community Funds 25 % (http://www.antagonistikotita.gr/)