Head: Eva Tzelepi, Τel: +30-210-6478810, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The National Reference Center for Neisseria gonorrhoeae (NRCNG) at the Laboratory of Bacteriology of the H.P.I. was officially established in 1987 upon authorization by the Greek Ministry of Health (Α1/5755/15-6-1987). Research on N. gonorrhoeae has actually been an ongoing project in this laboratory since 1981. The NRCNG aims to achieve continuous surveillance of the epidemiological and antibiotic resistance trends of gonococcal infection in Greece.
Sample supply: 155 isolates annually (average for the yars 2005-2009).
- Conducts a regular data collection of gonorrhea cases recorded in venereal hospitals or other medical care units throughout Greece.
- Receives gonococcal isolates, performs detailed typing and antibiotic susceptibility testing. Gonococcal collection of the NRCNG enumerates today more than 3.000 well characterized strains.
- Analyzes the underlying mechanisms responsible for resistance in gonococci presenting resistance patterns newly appearing or widely disseminated in Greece.
- Educates scientists and technologists and supervises PhD students on research projects relative to gonorrhea epidemiology and gonococcal resistance to antibiotics.
- Evaluates data and reports to the Greek Ministry of Health, while keeping up to date the Greek and international scientific community with data ensued from this evaluation. The main findings of the annual reports of the NRCNG are also presented in the website of H.P.I. (see Proceedings 2009)
– Eva Tzelepi, PhD on Biology, Researcher grade A, Head of the Laboratory of Bacteriology (email: tzelepi@pasteur.
– Vivi Miriagou, PhD on Biology, Researcher grade B (email: email@example.com)
– Eirini Siatravani, Technologist (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mavroidi A, Tzelepi E, Siatravani E, Godoy D, Miriagou V, Spratt BG. Analysis of emergence of quinolone-resistant gonococci in Greece by combined use of Neisseria gonorrhoeae Multi-Antigen Sequence Typing and Multi-Locus Sequence Typing. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2011, 49, 1196-1201.
- Tzelepi E, Avgerinou H, Flemetakis A, Siatravani E, Stathi M, Daniilidou M, Miriagou V. Changing figures of antimicrobial susceptibility and serovar distribution in Neisseriagonorrhoeae isolated in Greece. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 2010, 37, 115-120.
- Tzelepi E, Daniilidou M, Miriagou V, Siatravani E, Pavlidou E, Flemetakis A. Cluster of multidrug-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae with reduced susceptibility to the newer cephalosporins in Northern Greece. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 2008, 62, 637-639.
- Ison CA, Martin IMC, Lowndes CM and Fenton KA on behalf of the European Surveillance of Sexually Transmitted Infections (ESSTI) Network. Comparability of laboratory duagnosis and antimicrobial susceptibility testing of Neisseria gonorrhoeae from reference laboratories in Western Europe. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 2006, 58, 580-586.
- Martin IMC, Hoffmann S and Ison CA on belhaf of the European Surveillance of Sexually Transmitted Infections (ESSTI) Network. European Surveillance of Sexually Transmitted Infections (ESSTI): the first combined antimicrobial susceptibility data for Neisseria gonorrhoeae in Western Europe. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 2006, 58, 587-593.
- Stathi M, Flemetakis A, Miriagou V, Kyriakis KP, Maniatis A, Tzelepi E. Antimicrobial susceptibility of Neisseria gonorrhoeae in Greece. Data for the years 1994 – 2004. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 2006, 57, 775-779.
- Arthur G, Lowndes CM, Blackham J, Fenton KA, and the European Surveillance of Sexually Transmitted Infections (ESSTI) Network. Divergent approaches to partner notification for sexually transmitted infections across the European Union. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 2005, 32, 734-41.
- Fenton KA & Lowndes CM, and the European Surveillance of Sexually Transmitted Infections (ESSTI) Network. Recent trends in the epidemiology of sexually transmitted infections in the European Union. Sexually Transmitted Infections 2004, 80, 255-263.
- Lowndes CM & Kevin Fenton A, and the European Surveillance of Sexually Transmitted Infections (ESSTI) Network. Surveillance Systems for STIs in the European Union: Facing a changing epidemiology. Sexually Transmitted Infections 2004, 80, 264-271.
- Kyriakis KP, Tzelepi E, Avgerinou H, Mavroidi A, Daniilidou M, Frangouli E. Current characteristics of gonorrhea outpatients in Athens, Greece. Sexually Transmitted Infections 2002, 78, e5 (www.sextransinf.com/cgi/content/full/78/4/e5).
- Mavroidi A, Tzouvelekis LS, Kyriakis KP, Avgerinou H, Daniilidou M, Tzelepi E. Multidrug-resistant strains of Neisseria gonorrhoeae in Greece. Antimicrobial Agents & Chemotherapy 2001, 45, 2651-4.
- Mavroidi A, Tzouvelekis LS, Tassios PT, Flemetakis A, Daniilidou M, Tzelepi E. Characterization of Neisseria gonorrhoeae strains with decreased susceptibility to fluoroquinolones isolated in Greece during 1996-1999. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2000, 38, 3489-91.
- Kyriakis K, Tzelepi E, Flemetakis A, Avgerinou H, Tzouvelekis LS, Frangouli E. Epidemiology of male gonococcal infection in Greece. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 1999, 26, 43-8.
- Tzelepi E, Avgerinou H, Kyriakis KP, Tzouvelekis LS, Flemetakis A, Kalogeropoulou A, Frangouli E. Antimicrobial susceptibility and types of Neisseria gonorrhoeae in Greece. Data for the 4-year period 1990-1993. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 1997, 24, 378-85.
- Tirodimos I, Tzelepi E, Katsougiannopoulos VC. Penicillin-binding protein 2 genes of chromosomally resistant to penicillin Neisseria gonorrhoeae isolated in Greece. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 1993, 32, 677-84.
- Tzelepi E, Frangouli E, Athanassopoulou V, Tzanakaki G, Tseliou P. Neisseria gonorrhoeae in Athens, Greece. Epidemiologic classification and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns of strains isolated between 1988-1989. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 1991, 18, 238-44.
- Tzanakaki G, Mavrommati L, Tzelepi E, Kolyva S, Frangouli E. Serological classification in relation to auxotypes, plasmid contents and susceptibilities to antimicrobials of penicillinase producing Neisseria gonorrhoeae (PPNG) and non-PPNG strains isolated in Greece. Genitourinary Medicine 1989, 65, 171-6.
- Mavrommati L, Tzelepi E. Conjugal transfer of penicillin resistance plasmids to proline-citrulline-uracil (PCU) dependent strains of Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 1989, 3, 335-9.
- Mavrommati L, Tzelepi E, Sima A, Tzanakaki G, Kokla A, Flemetakis A. Antibiotic resistance, plasmid content, and auxotypes of Neisseriagonorrhoeae in Greece. JournalofAntimicrobialChemotherapy 1988, 21, 571-9.