Science shapes Society, Society shapes Science. This mutual interaction is not always understood. Scientific jargon often leads to limited communication and misunderstandings between the general public and the scientific community, and the rapid progress in many areas of research makes it very difficult for the non-experts to appreciate the value of Biomedical research in everyday life. As a result, there is increased public concern and ambivalence over the role that science and technology play in everyday life. New developments in science can improve both the quality of life and the understanding of the ways Nature works. Scientists from different scientific disciplines, lay public and especially the young generation need to be well informed and in constant interaction, in order to be able to respond properly to the challenges that knowledge gained through state-of-the art technology in Biosciences brings about.
The HPI, in line with other European Research Centres’ paradigm, has been and continuous to be engaged in several Science and Society activities that address Society’s needs from many perspectives.
Such activities aim to:
1. encourage dialogue between scientists and other members of the public
Programme ‘’Science & Technology Week” (2005 and 2006)
Open days and conferences for the public
2. encourage lifelong Education
3. develop ways to provide better access of the general public to the results of research and technology showing how the quality of everyday life can be improved by them.
Organization of annual brain awareness week events (2007)
Seminar: The little Biologist for primary school students
4. Contribute to efforts for a greater gender equality in science by inspiring girls and young women to join the next generation of scientists
SET ROUTES Program (2007-2008)
5. Improve understanding of science, technology, medicine and their interactions with society in a historical context
Historical Archives of Hellenic Pasteur Institute (2009 -2011)
6. develop and support associations of patients
Myasthenia Gravis Association basis on HPI
Promoting the quality of life
Development and support of patient Associations
Young (and older) friends of Louis Pasteur can watch the following educational videos about his life and workYouTube responded to TubePress with an HTTP 410 - No longer available